Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Summer and Winter in one week

I have heard people comment that they wouldn't want to live in Texas because they wouldn't experience the changing of the seasons that one gets farther north. I beg to differ. We get the changing of the seasons around here, it just changes in one day instead of taking months. Here's what I mean. Last Friday, I took the kids to the park to enjoy what I knew would be the last nice day for awhile. It was about 80 degrees and poor Garrett was roasting in his long sleeve shirt. Erin dressed more seasonably in short sleeves.






Within 12 hours of taking these pictures, a cold front came through and dropped the temperature to about 30 degrees. It stayed pretty cold for the next few days, and then last night we got an ice storm. We got about 1/4 inch of ice and then some sleet on top of that. It was bad enough to shut down schools and a lot of people stayed home from work. Gary worked from home. Here is our front yard this morning.


It may not look like much, but that is a layer of ice with some sleet on top. It crunches really hard when you step on it. I thought this picture of ice in the tree branches was pretty cool.


The kids had a blast playing on the ice for a while. Garrett kept running on the sidewalk and street and would fall every time. Finally, he fell hard and started crying, so I had to take him in to Daddy.





We went from Summer to Winter in less than one week. And the forecast for the weekend.....60's, so we'll call it Spring. If you don't like the weather in Texas, just wait a day or so and it will change.






2 comments:

Mallori and Nathaniel said...

Cute pictures! I hope things are going well for you guys...It looks like they are. Can you believe that Ive still never met Garrett? Maybe we'll all have to get together with Mom and Dad in California?

Carol in Sweden said...

YEAH!!!!!

NOW I can leave a message!
That other way was very weird as there wasn't even an option to leave anonymous...at least from my computer!


This is much better!

Great park photos...ice, be careful on it! I cracked my head open a few years ago...Bo thought I was dying! Lots of blood! I don't mess with ice anymore!